Nothing says Sunday morning like PANCAKES! Up your brunch game with these banana, blueberry, brown sugar ones.
Best for: Granting new life into your overripe bananas, and unexpected nutrients into your pancake stack.
Musical Pairing: “This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)” by Natalie Cole
This is how I felt the moment I thought of this recipe. I’d struggled with so many “so close” homemade pancake batters lately. Too runny, too thick, just weird. Enter: my bad habit of buying bunches of bananas and promptly forgetting about them. Best case, I remember in time to freeze them for smoothies. More likely case, I simply forget until they’re beyond home and impossibly speckled with black dots.
Merge this with the fact that I’ve become a huge at home brunch person through shelter-in-place. I wake up on the weekends ready to do something, and the nearest target is my kitchen. So, I thought, why not merge these two habits together? Enter, healthy (over-ripe) banana pancakes.
- 2 overripe bananas
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 5 tbs all purpose flour
- Oil to coat pan
- Toppings – Berries, banana, brown sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas with fork till smooth. Add in baking powder, vanilla, and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk with fork.
- Crack two eggs into the bowl and whisk further. Add the 5 tbs flour and stir till incorporated.
- Heat up griddle or saucepan. Coat with oil, then add pancake batter. Cook for about 4 min on each side or until the batter bubbles. Remove and enjoy!
- Made ~15 small pancakes for me. I topped with brown sugar, bananas, and blueberries 🙂
Want more Carmel Kama’aina content? Follow me on Instagram. All my latest recipes and behind the scenes tricks are published first on Instagram.