I am a huge proponent of white beans and lemons. So the fact I’ve combined them with my third favorite thing, vegetables, and into a soup shouldn’t be the least bit surprising. Empty out your pantry and freezer as well into this lemon white bean and veggie soup!
- 2 cans white beans*
- 32 oz chicken or veggie broth
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 handfuls of baby carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tsp rosemary (fresh or dried), chopped
- 1 bunch greens, chopped**
- Optional toppings- parmesan, red chili flakes, croutons, or more rosemary
Two notes on ingredients:
*Great northern beans, white kidney, or cannellini beans — whatever you can find!
**I used kale but escarole, chard, or spinach would work!
- Do your prep first! Slice all veggies.
- Blend 1 can white beans with 1 cup of broth until smooth; set aside.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium. Add garlic, leek, and onion- cook stirring frequently till soft (~5 min).
- Add carrot and celery, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook for 2 more min. Add other white bean can and chickpeas, stir, and cook for another minute.
- Add blended mixture with remaining broth and the rosemary. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for at least 20 minutes. 2 minutes before serving, stir in peas, carrots, greens, and lemon. Remove from heat once greens wilt.
- Serve plain or with some optional toppings!