I’m all for easy weeknight meals that use as few appliances/ dishes as possible. This one heavily leverages your oven to keep clean up to a minimum. You will need to boil water to make the farro, but everything else, corn included, goes directly into the oven to cook. That means no boiling separate pots of water or needed to leverage multiple burners on the stove (the horror!). It’s also SUPER easy. I came up with this recipe and executed it all while FaceTiming with my friend. Work this one into your weeknight rotation ASAP!
- 1 ear of corn, shucked
- 1.5 cups uncooked farro
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 shrimp — I did unpeeled
- 1 tbs oil for the shrimp
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 handfuls preferred greens per bowl
- Preferred dressing — I did olive oil and vinegar
- Optional- sprinkle of parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add shucked corn ear directly onto the oven rack. Set timer for 30 min. Bring water to a boil in a small pot and cook farro according to package.
- Halve tomatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and add to a lightly oiled baking sheet 15 minutes in. Next, toss shrimp in dried herbs, 1 tbs oil, salt and pepper.
- When 5 min are left, add the shrimp to the baking sheet. Roast for 5-6 minutes. Then, remove everything from the oven.
- Put all ingredients in a bowl over greens, top with preferred dressing, and add parmesan if desired. Enjoy!
You could substitute the farro for quinoa, cous cous, wild rice, or whatever grain you have on hand!
What am I listening to as I make this? “Loud Places” by Jaime xx and Romy
What can I learn while I make this? What farro is! Farro is an ancient grain that’s chalk full of nutrients. For example, one serving of farro can contain up to 20% of your daily recommended fiber.
What if I want an easy dinner but not this one? Don’t worry, I am full of ideas! Check out these below-
When you want pizza but also health AND can’t be bothered to go to the store … 5 ingredient zucchini pizza bites!
An easy weeknight stir fry dish that even the most lukewarm on tofu will enjoy thanks to the zesty lime sauce and crispy tofu!
Stop relegating peaches to pie and cold fruit snacks and try them for dinner in a balsamic glaze with chicken and sweet potatoes ASAP!
What about 3-4 recipes weekly with corresponding grocery lists weekly? Sign up for the Carmel Kama’aina weekly blast: