There is nothing like a warm bowl of soup on a cold summer’s day. Yes, you read that right. For those unfamiliar with Carmel, our default summer weather is FOG. Now, the thing with soup is it can be incredibly slow and involved (read: simmer for hours), or fast and easy. This soup is the latter, and leverages pre-made gnocchi from Trader Joe’s to make the process even speedier. For those of you who are still in the throes of a hot summer, use this soup to help you get in the autumnal mood (I hear Target ALSO has it’s fall section up if you need even more of a boost).
(Makes 4 servings)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 tsp red chilli pepper
- 1 can of garbanzo beans (15.5 oz)
- 1 can of white beans (15.5 oz)
- 5 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 carton (32 oz) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 package gnocchi
- 1 tsp fresh dill per bowl (or any fresh herb!)
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Prep first! Dice your garlic and chop your celery, onion, and dill. Set aside.
- In your largest pot, heat 1 tbs oil over medium-low heat and add in your garlic and onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, then red pepper flakes. Cook for a minute, turn heat to medium, and add diced tomatoes, celery, and beans. Season with salt and pepper, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and turn to high to bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add gnocchi. Cook according to instructions, for me, that was 3 minutes in boiling soup!
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and top with fresh dill. Enjoy!
You could add parmesan on top (my dad did).
What am I listening to as I make this? “Put it Together” by Langhorne Slim
What do I do with the rest of my dill leftover? Don’t worry, I’m full of ideas!
What about 3-4 recipes weekly with corresponding grocery lists weekly? Sign up for the Carmel Kama’aina weekly blast: