As soon as the calendar shows October 1st, it’s pumpkin bread season to me. Now, I actually am pretty picky about my pumpkin bread. I don’t like an overly-pumpkin tasting pumpkin bread, and I don’t like ones that are too moist and gooey (if you could see me right now- I promise I am so disturbed by these characteristics in pumpkin bread that I just caught myself wrinkling my nose as I type). Also, given my obsession with pumpkin bread, I like to make it as healthy as possible since I know I’m going to devour it, which is why I add in the Greek yogurt over butter (bonus points: it gives it a wonderful texture). I’ve perfected what I think it the ultimate (sneaky Greek yogurt) chocolate chip pumpkin bread with this recipe, and I hope you think so too!
(Makes one 9×5 loaf)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 5 tbs brown sugar (+1 tsp for top)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon + 1/4 tsp for sprinkling on top
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks + 1 tbs sprinkled atop
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a 9 x 5 lined loaf pan.
- Crack two eggs into a large mixing bowl, and lightly beat. Then add in pumpkin puree, yogurt, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Whisk till smooth. Slowly add the flour, then chocolate chips. Stir until combined.
- Pour into loaf pan. Top with saved cinnamon, brown sugar, and chocolate. Bake for ~55 minutes, or until it passes the toothpick test (I would check around 40 min to see how long you have to go!)
- Let cool for 10 min then enjoy!
On the toothpick test: I am a bit compulsive on checking my loaves because every oven is different and you don’t want to overcook your pumpkin bread! The toothpick test is when you stick a toothpick in the center of your baked good– if it comes out clean, it’s done!
What if I want to cook with Greek yogurt but make something else? Don’t worry, I’m obsessed with making healthy foods with Greek yogurt, so you’ve got plenty of options:
Want more Carmel Kama’aina content? Follow me on Instagram. All my latest recipes, poems, and behind the scenes tricks are published first on Instagram. Sneak a peek below: